Saturday, January 24, 2009

Late resolution

I'm not one for making new year's resolutions and this isn't one of them but a resolution is a good word to describe this decision. A vow, promise to myself are other good ways.
A hobby of mine from a long way back has been to have a bet on the horses, only natural when you look at my job.
Several years back a friend challenged me to go a month without betting and I did and got through it fine, so much so that I kept up that one month off each year for a few years.
I've decided I'm going to not bet for the month of February. Not only is it good to stop I think that I need to as I've been pushing my limits a bit from time to time and while that's okay if you keep winning the reality is that you also go through periods of losing.
That's where people can get stuck and drawn into addiction. Also, February is an expensive month for me with car registration due. So it makes sense to me to kill two birds with one stone. Funnel the bulk of my funds, where necessary, into the car and save the rest. Another good thing about February is that while there are a few major races it is not until March and April when the best comes along again so I won't feel like I am missing anything.
I don't have any concern about not being able to keep it up but I would like to ask for others to check up on me, ask me about it during next month.

No comments: