Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Seven Pounds

This is a hard movie to review because I don't want to give too much away.
Let me start by saying that Seven Pounds is heavy going but there is a point to it. I don't know that it is an uplifting film but there are certainly plenty of positives to be drawn from it.
Will Smith plays a man who seeks out seven people who deserve to have their lives change for the better. He's in a position to help them but only if their situation warrants it.
He's not a guardian angel, he has no supernatural powers. He's driven by guilt, it becomes clear very quickly but exactly why takes time.
Rather than go into the plot I'd like to say that the ending raises plenty of questions about his motivation. Was he helping people to seek redemption? And would what he did earn him redemption?
Seven Pounds is a film that requires your attention. There is no use drifting in and out because here is so much information to be taken in and observation is a big part of it.
To be frank it is a fair bit depressing but I did come out feeling like it was a worthwhile experience. There was one scene where `living an abundant life' was mentioned and I wonder whether that is the take home message from the film. It's not about wealth, in case you thought that, it is about living life and not living in fear.
There is a bit of a question mark over where the title comes from. I had a theory based on what I saw and there is another theory I have read about that seems true as well, and it comes from the Merchant Of Venice. But that's all I will say on that topic.
I reckon I could write pages trying to deconstruct this. I'll leave it as a very thought provoking, gripping, emotional and dramatic film that, if you are into that type of thing, you will be riveted. I was. An 8 out of 10.

1 comment:

Brant W. Fowler said...

I'm very intrigued by this one not knowing, obviously, how it ends. I'll have to check it out, but it has to wait in line behind a few others I'm eager to see. I so wish I got to the movies more than I do. It's one of my favorite things to do.