Sunday, December 21, 2008

Security blanket

So I finished watching It's A Wonderful Life and, after wiping the eyes, immediately thought how we lose sight of the little things.
I don't know about anyone else, but the scene where people pour into George Bailey's house with money is a really emotional one. He was so busy putting everyone else first that he didn't think he was important at all. He didn't realise the impact he had on the people around him.
Hopefully this Christmas we can all take a step back and realise how fortunate we are.
Getting a gift is nice, and to me it is really the thought that matters. I don't really need anything, I'm far from rich but would be an average middle class person.
If I could have anything for Christmas, I'd love it be peace of mind. That security blanket that we all have but that some of us lose when traumatic things happen. When we're really shaken to the core and lose that aura of invincibility.
Living without that false sense of security is a battle at times and I'd really like it back. A line from the film Into The Wild hits me when I think about that, something like - `I don't think it is important to be strong but to feel strong'.
I'd like to feel strong again. That's my Christmas wish.

No comments: