Saturday, May 24, 2008

Indiana Jones & The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

This is a hard movie to review because of the public's (and my) collective endearment of the Indiana Jones series.
In short The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull is a good, entertaining movie. It does ask the viewer to buy quite a bit though. Moreso than in the previous three which were a shade more plausible.
It's been 19 years since The Last Crusade and Harrison Ford wears the hat like he never took it off, and he looked as though he still relished the role.
My memory of Karen Allen is foggy but bringing her back was an excellent move, and convenient as (surprise surprise) Shia LaBeoff's character is Indy's son.
I must admit I was a bit disappointed by this highly expected revelation. It doesn't hurt the movie largely because Shia is so likeable.
Cate Blanchett was an interesting choice for the villainess role and despite the hilarious Russian accent she was an excellent addition, as she always is.
I enjoyed the in jokes, the jokes about Indy's age and how things used to be easier. They aren't pretending to be still mid-30s. A nice nod to Sean Connery as well, a couple of times in fact.
My main issue was that of alien history on Earth. I didn't mind when it was mentioned initially as Indy dismisses it quickly saying `you've got to be kidding'. By the end I was having trouble buying what was happening, particularly as it was supposed to be 1957. I wonder whether that was Steven Spielberg or George Lucas' influence, or a combination.
Then again that kind of thing was easier to buy when I was 14 or so as I was when The Last Crusade came out. I'm giving it 7 out of 10 because I had fun, but it could have been better.
The end scene is interesting and symbolic.

No comments: