Monday, May 05, 2008

Gavin DeGraw

A month or two ago I was lamenting my inability to get hold of the song We Belong Together by Gavin DeGraw. Well, to my surprise I was in the music store on Saturday and spotted his new CD (which only came out on that day). When I saw the track in question listed I went straight to the counter.
I didn't care if the rest of the album was ordinary - I had to have that song. Fortunately, the rest of the CD is pretty good.
Of course I came across Gavin DeGraw through One Tree Hill, as he sings the theme song I Don't Want To Be, and I admit I got hold of his debut CD Chariot for exactly the same reason.
Some may argue with me but I think this CD is much stronger than his debut. And that's a good thing.
The opening track In Love With A Girl is very catchy as is the next track Next To Me. Others I like are Young Love, She Holds A Key and of course We Belong Together, which is just an awesome song:
The hammer may strike, me dead on the ground,a nail to my hand, a cross on this crown, but we're done if we're undone, finished if we are incomplete, as one we are everything.
It's great when music surprises you and I have to say that Gavin DeGraw fits in that category. He's not your straight up and down pop singer. His songs have imagination, depth (most of the time) and are very catchy if they are up tempo and emotive if they are slow.
You could do a lot worse than check this out.

No comments: