Thursday, May 29, 2008

A commuter's rant

I am normally fairly unfazed by what goes on when I travel to and from work on the train.
However, this afternoon really had me bothered. Largely it was all over people's general lack of consideration for others.
For a start there were I'd say two fewer carriages on the train than usual so we were more packed in than what you'd call normal. If there is such a thing. So there were a lot of people standing.
Over the course of 20 minutes I had someone thrust a bag in my face with no `excuse me' or apology, was bumped into several times with no recognition and people were even stealing other people's seats on the steps of the train.
It's not too hard to smile occasionally people, when someone smiles at you. We could at least make the best of a bad situation by being pleasant.
It was a pretty sad indictment on our society when we can't co operate when everyone is in the same situation.
Most of the time I don't see a lot of this because I get on the train before 7am just about every day to work and around 3pm from work. It's worse when school kids are around because they talk quite a lot and don't have any concept of how loud is inappropriate.

No comments: