Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Script

I really like it when you find something new that has flown under the radar. UK band The Script haven't been super hyped here just yet but if good taste prevails they will very soon.
Coming across this self-titled album reminded me of how I discovered The Fray a couple of years ago and, interestingly, these guys aren't far from that ball park.
They are fairly conventional pop/rock but there is something about them that has attracted me.
With the amount of crap music around these days and far too much R&B/rap junk it's refreshing to hear some real music.
On the negative side there are only 10 songs on the album which, I think, is pretty poor at a time when 13 or 14 is necessary.
But on the positive side they are a cracking 10 songs so I guess a song or two of filler wouldn't add anything (unless they were great as well).
On first listen (and I always do these reviews on first listen) it is easy to like, the lyrics are good from what I can gather as I haven't listened to it while reading them yet.
The single We Cry is excellent and I could pick out any of the 10 as stand-outs and I love it when I get a CD like that in my hands. Another standout is the last track I'm Yours. Reminds me of when I got The Fray, The Woodenelves, Rascal Flatts, Gavin DeGraw, John Mayer and Lifehouse's latest.
These guys are a welcome addition, and you could do a lot worse.

1 comment:

Bron Wilton said...

The Script are great. They are becoming quite huge over here, but laid back and very good. Their song is every where over here and they will go off. I really like them. Sometimes they sound a little Maroon 5. I am glad they are starting to make in other countries.