Thursday, September 18, 2008

Old Friends

This morning on the way to work I started thinking about some of the people I've known over the years who have been important to me or had an impact.
When your mind goes down a rain of thought it is surprising what you can remember. So these are some of the people I thought about today.

Michael - this is a guy who I'd say had the greatest impact on me while I was at university. We met while in line to get our photo IDs and for about 18 months we were really good mates. Then he vanished, for all purposes, and I don't know what happened to him or what he is up to now. I remember spending a great weekend at his parents' house in the middle of winter, it was snowing, very cold, but it was a great time. He got a bit drunk at the pub and I still remember him getting up in the middle of the night to throw up! An awesome guy, I still have the Christmas card he sent me before my USA trip tell me he was `jealous as hell'. Everyone should have a mate like him.

Tim - when I was 15 I was a very different person in many ways, and some people still don't believe me. Anyway, Tim was one of a group of friends of mine in high school and over the years we developed a friendship and then his family moved away. Fortunately it was to a town my family has a connection with so we kept in touch. I last saw him about seven years ago, or thereabouts, and as far as I know he's still around in Sydney. I have only good memories of Tim.

Rachel - when I moved to Sydney and started my job I was told about this girl who also worked there but was on leave. We didn't meet for some time but when we did we got on like the proverbial house. She was intelligent, classy, fun, beautiful and cultural. I'm not sure what she's up to now, last I heart she was studying again. We were great friends and I hope she's doing well.

Iain - this is someone I don't talk about a lot. I met him in the course of my job one day and chatted for a while as others did their jobs then met by chance at the pub. It turned out we had a bit in common and lived not far away from each other so we started hanging out. He was a good person to know at the time but that was a friendship that didn't really end so well. Still, it was significant because I learned a lot.

Adrian - easily one of the most genuine people I've ever known. Adrian was a mainstay as far as mates went through university. He's an awesome Christian guy and was always, and is always, encouraging and supportive and wise. We reconnected through church in Sydney several years ago and little had changed as far as getting along. He's a great example of someone who doesn't need `stuff' to be happy because he fills life with more important things.

Nathan - the most recent `old friend' and one that still kind of hurts a bit. He came along at a time I was really finding it difficult to be positive. Not only is he interesting and great company, he's got an awesome attitude towards life and it was great to be around that. I've got to take some responsibility for damaging our friendship and I regret that. We did set things right and I learned a very important lesson but in the end it cost me a mate.

There are a few more that come to mind but these have had the most impact. On the whole they are very good memories, despite a regret or two, and that's something I am grateful for.

No comments: