Saturday, October 06, 2007

Still Feels Good - the review

It's the long awaited (if you can call a couple of months long awaited) fifth album from US country rock group Rascal Flatts
and they are still in good form.
On first couple of listens this isn't as instantly likeable as Me And My Gang was with a powerhouse opening track and several real stand outs.
Still Feels Good is a bit less out there than its predecessor. It's more in the vein of Feels Like Today, the album prior to M&MG. More ballad focused, I guess.
Now I will never knock a good ballad and there is something about the country ballad that seems more heartfelt than your pop/rock song.
The opening track is Take Me There and it is a solid enough opener, the title track is a nice song as is Winner At A Losing Game.
A couple of comparably very different ballads close the album with How Strong Are You Know, a break-up song, and It's Not Supposed To Go Like That, a stirring story of young lives lost. I've always disliked country music, at least until I came across the Flatts, but there really is something about it that has more depth than pop (though some would argue that wouldn't be hard).
Incidentally, this is my 400th post. I think it is fitting that it is a review of a new CD by one of my favourite bands.

No comments: