Friday, October 19, 2007

Did the Chaser go too far?

A lot of column centimetres and air time has been taken up by the Chaser's `Eulogy Song' from the other night where they poked fun at a host of personalities who have passed on.
Their point was that people who weren't exactly squeaky clean are made out to be perfect, or `top blokes', after death. I think mostly that point is probably correct but who is squeaky clean really?
Most of the outrage will tell you that the song was offensive. I didn't find it offensive but then again I'm not close to anyone mentioned in the lyrics so have no personal attachment to it. What I can comment on is that it wasn't particularly funny. I got a laugh or two but overall the song was pretty poor if they were truly trying to be funny.
To re-raise a point I made a while back, is the Chaser team slipping? They seem to be going for cheap jokes in place of things that require some thought. I think they might be trying too hard to be outrageous.
As far as I'm concerned they haven't crossed the line but I'd be more concerned about them falling over the edge of being considered not funny any more.

No comments: