Thursday, June 28, 2007

Transformers

It's hard to know where to start.
We all know Transformers from the 80's cartoon and I for one never imagined a major motion picture. Well, well done Michael Bay.
The story revolves around Sam Witwicky (Shia LeBeouf) and an expedition by his great grandfather in the early 20th century that uncovered a top secret technological find - which turns out to be Megatron, leader of the Decepticons.
I'd never heard of Shia LeBeouf before but he's responsible for carrying this movie and he, I think, is the real star of the show.
Sam's in line for his first car and in the selection process is told `the car chooses you' and how right that statement was to be. His car was Bumblebee, an Autobot, and his selection of Sam was not by accident.
The Autobots are searching for the Allspark, a cube that holds the key to gaining control of the universe, and Sam's great grandfather's glasses hold the key.
Follow?
This is basically an action flick but I've got to say it's done very tongue in cheek and very much with a nod to the 80's and to several other popular franchises like Star Wars and the Terminator in particular.
Transformers shouldn't be a good film. It's based on a totally unrealistic premise that is also a cartoon but they pull it off. The sheer size of the Transformers is a bit too noticeable but that is also utilised in a very clever comic scene.
Like its catchphrase, there is `more that meets the eye' to this movie. A very entertaining 8.5 out of 10.

4 comments:

Brant W. Fowler said...

It's already out over there?! Well, it comes out next week here, so all's good. :)

Shia LeBeouf had his own show on Disney (forget what it was called) and then did a movie called Holes. He was also in I, Robot and Constantine (had a break out role in both of those films) and just did Disturbia. He's a good actor.

I can't wait to see this.

Alison said...

I saw the tralier for it last week and I have to say it looked like a much better film than I was expecting. I'll probably go and see it next week.

Brant W. Fowler said...

Hey Ray, I linked to your review in my SBC Reel this week:

http://www.silverbulletcomics.com/news/story.php?a=5372

Ray said...

Cheers mate, I tend not to spoil in my reviews but happy to tell you more if you want to know...