Friday, June 29, 2007

Spice Girls reform - so where are the new songs?




The Spice Girls have announced they will reform and tour later this year in what was really the worst kept secret in music for a while.
Whether this is a good thing or not depends on how you felt about the Spice Girls during their few years at the top in the late 1990s. I have two of their three CDs and have seen the movie but everyone already knows my taste can be questionable at times.
I do recall watching a Spice Girls `concert' with a couple of mates at uni - with the sound turned down - and I also recall we quite enjoyed it.
I have to say I quite like a few of their songs but there's no incentive to buy the proposed `Greatest Hits' CD that will accompany their tour. Everyone who was remotely interested already has those songs.
So girls, if you're serious you've got to hit the studio and pump out something new.
Other bands to have reformed, like That That, have at least given their remaining fans something original when they returned. Have the Greatest Hits if you must, and I'm sure the record company has a lot to do with that, but new music is essential.
For the record, my favourite Spice Girls songs are/were: Viva Forever, Stop, 2 Become 1, Too Much and Mama.

No comments: