Saturday, June 02, 2007

My take on The Secret

Much has been said and written about The Secret and it has even been sent up on The Chaser.
(Just an aside, I thought the Chaser's send-up was hilarious.)
Having read the book myself, just this week, here's my 20 cents worth.
I don't see how it's a bad thing to have a positive attitude. It can't be a bad thing to feel good. People should lead lives of abundance.
Would you rather have your head filled with thoughts of doubt, worry and fear or of joy, love and laughter. It's an easy call.
Getting to the latter point, however, doesn't appear so easy at least to me.
Yes it comes across as new-age mumbo jumbo and is a shade repetitive but maybe that's the secret to getting your head around The Secret. Who knows, it's probably different for each individual.
I think if one was to take on board what The Secret is putting forward they would have to have a clear view of what they expect and why they are doing it. I say this because the book claims to have the key to curing all bad things in life, simply it seems, by having a positive attitude and trying to feel good.
As I said I don't think it is a bad thing to be positive, in fact I am certain life is a lot easier when you're not weighed down by life.
So I think if one was to try The Secret they should do it simply to try and enjoy life more, and if all the amazing things claimed in the book follow then great. I've got to say that it says you should do things that bring you joy, whether they are meditating, eating chocolate or running a marathon. I've got to agree. Life's too short not to enjoy the things you like.
I'm not going to bag The Secret, in fact I don't see any harm in having an outlook that promotes enjoyment and feeling good.

No comments: