Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Joey retires

It is a sad day in rugby league, the great man has retired.
Certainly the best player in the modern game, Andrew Johns is arguably the greatest player of all time and his retirement leaves a huge hole in the Newcastle Knights.
Admittedly, we all saw it coming a couple of seasons ago when he sustained yet another injury to the neck. I recall saying I hoped Newcastle were making plans for the day when he wouldn't be playing any more and I guess we'll find out this season if they have been.
I was fortunate enough to meet Joey a couple of times (both at the races) and I found him to be a pretty good guy and happy to chat to anyone.
Injury is not the way the greats should go out, this weekend was to be Joey's 250th game for the Knights, and it's a shame he can't have a proper, on field, farewell.

No comments: