Friday, April 06, 2007

Hard Candy

After shaking of a hit of post-film trauma I can write about a very disturbing film, one that I'm not recommending.
Hard Candy is a movie that I think crosses the line, for me anyway. Its subject matter is controversial enough as it is and I won't go into it here. If you want to know click the link for the IMDB page on the movie.
I've seen some pretty controversial movies over the years and this ranks right up there. However, with some of the others like Mysterious Skin, Head On etc I left disturbed but feeling like the experience was worth it. I felt I grew from having seen them.
All I feel is that the protagonist Haley (Ellen Page) got away with something (twice, at least, it seems) and comes away looking like a sweet little girl, the heroine of the film.
Maybe it was because Jeff (Patrick Wilson) had to endure believing he had his balls cut off and going through that scene with him, I have some sympathy even if it seems he wasn't such a nuce guy. I'd say to the guys out there, you don't need to see this (it is not graphic in any way, just suggestive).
With a cast of five (and three of them might have about 10 sentences between them) this is a small film but powerful and the performances of the two leads are outstanding. But that's as far as I want to take the praise.
Why did I see it? The film had decent reviews, despite the subject area, and I thought I was likely to take something from watching it. I only got trauma.
Should you see it? If it interests you I won't say it's not interesting as far as the performances and such goes but do you really want to put yourself through it?

No comments: