Sunday, April 22, 2007

Good memories

I had a call tonight from my cousin David. It's been about 15 years since we saw each other last and that was at his first wedding and he couldn't recall seeing me there. (I suppose that's not a surprise, I imagine a wedding day as being a bit of a blur).
Last week I had called him because I was told of the death of his father, my uncle Steve, of a brain tumour after about six months since diagnosis. So naturally it wasn't in great circumstances. But it's strange how these things always bring long lost family members together.
David said he remembers me as a little kid. I found that somewhat funny, and said he would then be surprised that I am about six foot two or so. I don't remember him as a little kid though as we used to hang out a bit when our families came together. He's about seven years older than me so I guess that's not surprising.
It was awesome to talk to him though. I only have good memories of Steve and of when David and I used to hang out. Steve was a very enthusiastic, fun guy who was always interested in having a joke and good time with you, regardless of whether you were an adult or a child. His life circumstances changed through divorce but I haven't seen any of that other that seeing my aunt a number of times since it happened.
Regardless of that, as I said I only have good memories of Steve and it is sad that he died.
It turns out David comes to Sydney a few times a year so there's a good chance we'll catch up sometime this year. Won't that be weird. But it will be interesting.
As far as blasts from the pasts go, tonight's conversation with my cousin was amazing.

No comments: