Sunday, March 25, 2007

What's the rush?

It seems we are always in a hurry. Whether it's to get to work, to get something done or for something to happen. I know this because I am one of these people.
What I learned tonight was nothing new but it comes as a timely reminder having just recently thrown myself back into work at the same speed I was travelling before I came to a screeching halt late last year. Have I learned anything?
Tonight I visited a church* not too far from home. I wasn't really looking for anything in particular, nor was I `church shopping', just a different take on church to what I am used to.
And it was different. Vibrant, emotive, somewhat unstructured, accessible and very much street level church.
The music was uplifting, a little Hillsong-esque but that's not a bad thing in my books as I really get into that style. I like to be moved by music and I was.
If I have a criticism it is that the sermon was a bit patchy. However, what it lacked in style it made up for in message. God brings you to certain places, puts you in certain situations for a reason, and I'm sure I went to this church tonight for a purpose.
A large part of the talk was devoted to prayer and the need to commit to praying daily. If you start small that's fine but build up gradually. You don't go from five minutes a day to an hour in one hit.
The secondary message, and the one that spoke to me, was that we need to slow down. Why do we rush everywhere. God is in control so let him be, don't be in a hurry to have something done yesterday. This is where I have erred.
Tonight was a good night. I enjoyed the new experience and the opportunity to share church with some friends I either haven't done this with in a while or before. Importantly, I left the church smiling.
(* This post should not be taken as a slight against my current church, I am merely recording my experience.)

No comments: