Saturday, March 17, 2007

Forgiven not forgotten

Yesterday I received a surprise text message from a guy I hadn't heard from in over two years.
Let's just say there was some unpleasantness, I didn't exactly handle a situation well and we had a falling out. That's putting it lightly.
I won't go into what happened but basically he didn't want to have anything to do with me. In a way I kind of understand. I was disappointed, both in myself for behaving badly and in him for not wanting to address the problem.
Anyway his correspondance on Friday came quite unexpected but welcome. He'd been wrestling with the issue for a while, much more than I had I admit though I have had distractions in the last couple of years, and decided God told him he needed to forgive me.
It's an amazing feeling when someone says (even if it is in a text message) that they forgive you. However it wasn't so amazing to read that he had `hatred in his heart' toward me. I really didn't think I could have that effect on anyone, nor have I tried to.
I was pleased that he had forgiven me and, perhaps hastily, suggested we should resume hanging out. He's not yet ready for that.
The shame is that we did get on pretty well and had several similar interests so I was/am keen to go back there.
I'm working on it but I have the feeling that it will be a slow process.

No comments: