Monday, March 02, 2009

Breaking Dawn

This afternoon I finally finished the fourth book in the Twilight series, Breaking Dawn, all 750-odd pages of it!
I have to say overall it didn't grab me as much as the previous books and I reckon if it had been shorter it would have been much, much better. When I read Twilight I couldn't put it down, it seemed to fly and was simply riveting (to me anyway). Some of Breaking Dawn, particularly early on was a bit of a chore but when you've made it this far in a series you have to hope for the best.
New Moon, the next film being made, took a while to grow on me but once it did I found it similar to the first book.
Eclipse again was a bit slow to kick off. With Breaking Dawn I just thought there was so much build up to the finale, some of which made it border on an anti-climax, it could be ruined as a movie as most of what needs to be focused on happens towards the end.
With the movie version of Twilight I thought they brushed over some important stuff - though if you'd hadn't read the book you probably didn't notice. As I said when I reviewed the movie there were some very interesting scenes at school and in the James pursuit that they really wasted opportunities on.
Similarly with New Moon, there's some pretty boring stuff going on early in the book before things heat up from about a third of the way in. In all three remaining movies of books there are some scenes that I can't wait to see on screen and I hope they are as awesome as the baseball scene in Twilight.
I haven't gone into a movie series as a fan of the books before so it is a vastly different experience for me as I have all these preconceived ideas of what the movies should look like.
I can see scenarios where New Moon is royally stuffed up and hopefully that isn't because they are rushing to get it done for release in about eight months time and will probably work on Eclipse back to back.

No comments: