Sunday, March 08, 2009

A fitting result


Racecourses can be very cruel places at times. By nature they are unforgiving, punters are critical (why not I guess when you invest money on something) and sentiment is only very rarely appropriate.
One of those times was yesterday and I was fortunate enough to be at Flemington to witness it.
A week earlier jockey Craig Newitt was told his father had been killed in a car accident less than an hour before he was due to ride in a big race. He rode and ran second, only beaten just before the post.
Yesterday he rode Heart Of Dreams (pictured) to win the Australian Guineas and received a reception that nobody can deny he deserved. I admit that as I applauded him as he returned to the mounting yard that I felt a shiver or two for him.
Earlier in the day I spoke to him briefly, offered my condolences, and wished him good luck for the day. I doubt seriously if I could be as strong as he has been this week and it would be well within the realms of possibility that he will fall apart when he lets himself. And he is allowed.
I'm pleased to have been there to witness such a fine moment. Good on you, Craig.

No comments: