Sunday, March 22, 2009

My own `Sixteen Candles' moment

Anyone who grew up in the 80s would be familiar with the movie Sixteen Candles.
Well, today I had my very own Sixteen Candles moment - my housemate forgot my birthday.
Initially it was disappointing that someone I have shared a house with for as long as we have been could not remember a birthday.
Then when he realised I actually felt a bit bad for him because he was feeling pretty guilty. So much so he pestered me for a while to allow him to take me out for a drink tonight. If nothing else his reaction shows that he cares.
In the movie Molly Ringwald's character turns 16 but her parents forgot because of everything else that was going on. It has that classic line - `I don't believe it. They f***ing forgot my birthday'.
I never thought that would actually happen. For the record I turned 34 today.
Yesterday I spent most of the day out and about so today I chilled out for the most part.
I spent the day at the races then went to a mate's house party on the other side of Sydney. I met a bunch of interesting people and had quite a nice time. So it was a good way to spend a `birthday weekend'.
By the way, happy birthday to Brant whose birthday is the 21st but thanks to being on the other side of the world we share, technically, the same day.

No comments: