Sunday, March 29, 2009

Top 5 fave TV characters

For a bit of fun, after a friend mentioned the idea, I thought I'd list my five favourite current TV show characters.

5. Maurice Moss (The IT Crowd, pictured).
How do I describe Moss? He's an IT nerd through and through, pedantic, weird, unworldly and very funny to watch. One of the great unseen gems of TV in Australia, the IT Crowd is a brilliantly written sitcom and, in the tradition of Fawlty Towers, hasn't been overdone (only 18 episodes to date). The thing about Moss is that at times you are also laughing with him and that makes a good character.
4. Devon a.k.a. Captain Awesome (Chuck).
Chuck's soon to be brother in law is the way too perfect guy all us normal average people kind of secretly detest. He's athletic, a doctor, he's very supportive of everyone in his life and to him everything is `awesome'. He's kind of a simple character and I think he was only meant to be a one or two episode character but he's just so interesting and funny (particularly his reaction when anyone else says something is awesome) and I think the show would be very different without him.
3. Ben Rafter (Packed To The Rafters)
I'm only a recent convert to this show but it is the eldest son Ben who seems to be the soul of the show. He's very much you're average suburban nice guy. He's goofy, impulsive, lovable and loyal and there aren't too many characters like him. I reckon he's the kind of brother anyone would love to have.
2. Kevin Walker (Brothers And Sisters)
I think there is a theme here. Kevin is smart, handsome, a lawyer, classy - but can be very childish an selfish. Yes he is the `gay one' in Brothers And Sisters but he, a bit like Ben Rafter, is the heart of the show I think. He's always stuffing up and getting into silly fights with his siblings but I always get a good laugh out of him. I think he'd also make a good brother and at least he'd be able to afford the therapy you'd need if you were. The gay thing is neither here nor there as far as Kevin goes, though it probably adds to his character a bit.
1. Homer Simpson (The Simpsons).
Who else? The king of the kids, Homer has evolved over the years into the reason to watch The Simpsons. He's been involved in all the best bits of the show, including the episodes where he famously quit church and started his own religion and when he inadvertently ate his pet lobster (my favourite two episodes). How different would culture be now if The Simpsons wasn't around? Interestingly, I was in year nine at high school when it started and my nephew, who is almost eight, has grown up watching it. That says something about the impact it has had.

1 comment:

Bron Wilton said...

Hey, how are things? I know it has been awhile, I am coming home in Sept for a couple of weeks, it would be great to catch up. Check out my website howgoodcanitget.jimdo.com