Tuesday, June 24, 2008

You Don't Mess With The Zohan

I reckon about 10 years ago I might have found You Don't Mess With The Zohan pretty funny.
It appears I have grown up somewhat, though I laughed pretty hard during Dude! Where's My Car? and Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle. Maybe they were funnier, simple as that.
Adam Sandler is Zohan, an Israeli soldier who is seemingly indestructible but longs to move to New York and become a hairdresser - as you do.
Problem is, he's never cut anyone's hair before.
From the first scene it's made pretty clear exactly what Zohan has going for him and once he does get the scissors in his hands uses it to his advantage, and the customers' pleasure.
There is a back story in there that resurfaces just when everything is going great but I won't bore you.
Zohan had its moments, it was funny at times (particularly the hacky sack game involving a cat), but it is B-grade juvenile humour and the accents get annoying fairly quickly.
There are cameos from interesting people, most notably for me Mariah Carey who is apparently adored by middle eastern people. I probably should have seen it coming when Zohan kept wearing Mariah t-shirts.
This is not Sandler's best comedic work and I think it is a shame this is the same man who was stunning in Reign Over Me last year. Lift your game, mate.
A 6 out of 10.

No comments: