Thursday, June 19, 2008

It's all a bit surreal

Fairly normal Thursday night then I get a phone call.
My mum doesn't usually call me on the mobile so it was strange to hear her, then she says the house had burned down.
I still don't know what to think, obviously it is a bad thing, but I don't know the extent of it. Following the initial disbelief the term `burned down' doesn't mean the house was completely gutted but it may be safe to say a good portion of it has been significantly damaged.
The good news is that everyone got out in time and no-one was injured at all. Thank God it didn't happen while they were asleep.
So the house I grew up in is effectively no longer. I'm not sure how I feel about that, on one hand I spent 19 years or the best part of living there and on the other I've been telling my parents for several years they needed to upgrade.
So now they will have no choice. I really didn't want it to happen that way and at this point I don't know what possessions can be salvaged, if any.
Like I said it is all a bit surreal and hard to fathom from 500km away.

2 comments:

Alison said...

Wow Ray, that is full on. Hope they can get things sorted out smoothly.

Aaron said...

That's crazy, I'm hoping everything works out well for your family. I could never imagine something like that happening. Stay well!