Friday, June 13, 2008

The Happening

The Happening in simple terms is the biggest load of crap I've seen in a while and if it's not the worst movie of the year then there's a howler out there just waiting for me.
Warning, spoiler clue at the end.
It's very hard to believe that the man who stunned us with The Sixth Sense could get it so wrong. The key to these movie was there and I think everyone worked it out but it just wasn't anything special.
I'm disappointed in Mark Wahlberg who has been so brilliant lately but he did his best I suppose with the `material'.
There were elements of the film that were uneasy, edgy and a shade unnerving but they were very few and far between. Most of the film was very disturbing and overdone - we don't need to see graphic details of something over and over again to get the point.
I'm in a bit of shock as I write this `review' because I just can't understand how something with a huge amount of potential can be so thoroughly stuffed up.
As a quick summary, one morning in New York's Central Park people just stop and are overcome with an urge to kill themselves. This keeps occurring in other places in the state and Elliott (Wahlberg), a school science teacher, is one of the survivors trying to outrun whatever it is that is causing the tragedies.
Without completely giving it away, I was surprised not to see Al Gore in the credits anywhere.
A 3 out of 10, easily the lowest rating I've given in many, many years.

2 comments:

Zombie said...

You know what got me mate? It was the the fact that in the opening scene, the guys on the roof somehow got the plague before the guys closest to the plants. It was entertaining at times, but not really a great one. CHEERS! Crap, I was wish I were Australian.

Ray said...

Why's that Adam?