Saturday, June 07, 2008

Prince Caspian

Prince Caspian is very much a worthy continuation of the Narnia series, three years after the much loved The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe.
The good thing for me in watching this film was that I wasn't as emotionally connected to it as I was the first film. I don't recall it as vividly if I actually got through the whole book when I was younger.
In contrast to LW&W, I wasn't sure what I was in for as far as plot goes except the obvious - that the Pevensie children return to Narnia some 1300 years after they left (actually only one year or so in human time) and it is a very different place.
Summonsed by Prince Caspian (Ben Barnes) who is fleeing for his life in the forest of Narnia, Peter, Edmund, Susan and Lucy return to lead the Narnians in a revival that is set to restore the rightful balance in their world.
There is an appearance by the White Witch (Tilda Swinton) in quite a disturbing scene and of course there is the take home message from the CS Lewis story.
For me it came in the scene where Peter and Susan were talking about Aslan and why he didn't believe Lucy saw the lion. Peter wanted proof. He was told that maybe it's not up to Aslan to prove himself to us.
That is very true. I was actually thinking quite a deal about that in the car on the way home.
An excellent film and one that didn't take itself too seriously with some very funny scenes and whimsical characters, it deservied its M rating though, and it will be interesting to see what they do with Voyage of the Dawn Trader.
Even though I have a soft spot, and always will, for The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, Prince Caspian was a better film. An 8.5 out of 10.

No comments: