Saturday, February 23, 2008

Do I feel lucky?

I started thinking about this shortly after my doctor yesterday told me I was one of the lucky ones, that is, of the patients he has in my situation.
Over the last few years I have definitely felt unlucky, or unfortunate, and not appreciated that while there is something to deal with it is manageable.
So, the results of the tests I had last week were outstanding, surprising and confusing.
The fact that the condition has gone into `full remission' is awesome and I have to say it has taken a decent weight off my shoulders. This doesn't mean I should cease being vigilant as there is still the possibility, in fact likelihood, that it could return. But it means I need to start feeling fortunate and therefore more relaxed about it.
It was more surprising to the doctor, though I am also surprised, but I was also hopeful when I had the tests that things would be no worse as I felt I had done everything possible (aside from excessive worry) that I could.
Why is it confusing? When I came out of hospital (day stay) last week with the preliminary result which was similarly great, it all felt surreal. There was no evidence of the problem in the test that was done, the last time I had it (3 years ago) there was pretty decent evidence.
While it's great to be given an all clear for now I am puzzled because I don't know how to process it, something that has been an incredible burden isn't there, or at least isn't around at the moment, and I'm not used to that.
I do need to keep in mind that cases of this never reappearing are rare, so I can't all of a sudden be reckless plus I've become accustomed to a healthy lifestyle.
So I really need to realise that I am fortunate, lucky, whatever adjective is appropriate, and begin moving forward. But it's great news and I'm looking forward to it sinking in.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great news. You've written a very interesting post.

Dré said...

Praise God for your healing! That's an answer to one of my prayers from a while back. Great news man.