Tuesday, December 25, 2007

End of an era

OK, so a while back I eluded to making a decision on something I have been doing for a while. It's not an earth-shattering, life-changing decision (actually it is rather trivial) but when you've been doing something for 16 years and you decide not to it is quite momentus.
As most people know I am a bit of a music nut and since 1991 I have been compiling my own music charts, both because when I started it was fun and as a way to keep up with what was happening with music.
I have a rather thick folder with every music chart I have done since then including a top 100 for the year (except the last 2 years when I didn't do the end of year one) and I have a list of every song that has been number 1 and how many weeks it was there.
But, disappointingly, the music scene these days is pretty ordinary. Maybe I am just getting old, but a lot of the music out there now really doesn't interest me and seems to be dominated by inane rap/R&B stuff.
So as of this week I will no longer be doing my music charts.
It started in 1991 and my top five songs of 5/1/1991 were as follows:
1. Let's Make It Last All Night-Jimmy Barnes
2. Unchained Melody-Righteous Brothers
3. Disapper-INXS
4. Always & Ever-Southern Sons
5. I Touch Myself-Divinyls

The final chart, for the week ending 5/1/2008 is as follows.
1. Believe Again-Delta Goodrem
2. In Pieces-Shannon Noll
3. Touched By Love-Eran James
4. Misery-Good Charlotte
5. Into The Night-Santana featuring Chad Kroeger

Make of those what you will. My music taste is pretty eclectic but has remained fairly constant over the years. Following are some statistics about my musical experience in the last 16 years.
Most weeks at number 1: How To Save A Life-The Fray (21), Lift-Shannon Noll (20), If You Could Only See-Tonic (19), Over My Head (Cable Car)-The Fray (17), One Sweet Day-Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men (16), Spending My Time-Roxette (15).
Most number 1's: Mariah Carey (19), Roxette (14), Savage Garden/Darren Hayes (14), Shannon Noll (8), Kylie Minogue (8).
Interestingly, my three favourite songs I'll Be There For You (Rembrandts), Hero (Mariah Carey) and Crash And Burn (Savage Garden) spent five, one and 13 weeks at number one respectively.
In a way it is going to be strange not doing this anymore but I see no point. There's only really 10 or so songs I like at any one time on the radio/video shows so doing a chart seems redundant. Plus, as you would note from some of the artists that have dominated I am a creature of habit and still like their music. Yeah, I am a dag. But the 80s-90s were just awesome for music and the 00s have not been as significant, except for a few artists here and there.
So there you have it, the end of an era. I am glad I am going out with a number 1 that I really, really like, a positive uplifting song and, at the end of the day, that is what music should do for you. Now if only I listened to myself on that one.....

No comments: