Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The O.C. & me - the finale

Well I'm officially done with The O.C. having now watched the 16 episodes of its fourth and final season.
Firstly, in season 4 everyone quickly moved on from Marissa's death (admittedly some faster than others) but Mischa Barton's departure was obviously not amicable, at least straight away.
In a way it is a shame that The O.C. was cancelled and had to wrap up so quickly because I think it was beginning to find its way again. It wasn't particularly lost but when a mjor character is written out a series almost always suffers. The plot revolving around Ryan and Taylor was fun, I didn't particularly like her in season 3 but in the fourth season she does grow on you in an annoyingly endearing way.
Ryan is still Ryan but he does show a softer side late in the series. Seth is at his brilliant best and the highlight was the couple of episodes where Chey though Seth was his soulmate and wanted to spend time with him. Strange but quite funny, particularly when Chey realises his soul mate could be another man.
The series as a whole really surprised me because I wrote it off. I still say One Tree Hill is a lot better (and the fact it is going into season 5 proves that) but there is a place for The O.C. I won't be adding it to the collection, at this point anyway.
I thought there was a clever line in the last episode about how teen dramas ``go on forever''.
Now that The O.C. phase is over I wonder what is next....

No comments: