Sunday, July 08, 2007

My issue with Facebook

It is basically just another way for the world to separate people from people. They do this by creating a sense of community that seems personal but really isn't.
Sure, things can be organised but in the end it's more impersonal than e-mail and makes the phone seem like an intimate piece of technology.
Churches shouldn't be embracing this phenomenon if it is in the guise of creating community because, really, it is alienating when personal connection is being watered down like it is.
I'm not against anyone using something like Facebook (I have this blog) personally but when it is being shamelessly promoted as this awesome way to connect just makes me think there are a lot of sad people out there.
Soon we'll be doing church that way and no-one will have to bother going.
But hey, I'm very much into personal connection. I use technology (and sms more than I should) but at the end of the day I'd take a coffee or a movie or a walk or just hanging with a person as opposed to a machine.

No comments: