Sunday, November 01, 2009

Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel

It's taken me a while to buy the latest Mariah Carey album, largely because I really dislike the packaging.
Sure, it's a trivial reason not to buy something but I am a stickler for continuity when it comes to additions to a series.
That out of the way, Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel is far from a classic Mariah Carey album - but having said that it isn't bad either.
While with previous releases there are a bunch of tracks I quickly ignore this one is nice enough to listen to most of the way through. However, there aren't many highlights.
I read somewhere that when they were making this album the idea was to make a greatest hits album without having any greatest hits, if that makes sense. Unfortunately Mariah has fired her two best shots with the first two singles, Obsessed and I Want To Know What Loves Is (the only song on here that qualifies as a greatest hit being a cover of an 80s classic and one of my top 10 of all time).
In my opinion there are four songs on here that are memorable. They are HATEU, The Impossible, Angels Cry and I Want To Know What Love Is. (Just on that song, I wonder why she ditched a verse and changed the first one to be a conglomeration of the first two - the first verse ends with 'in case I need it when I'm older' then goes into a second, not 'in case I need it when I'm colder').
The rest vary from nice to bearable.
Come on, Mariah. I know you're trying really hard not to be the wholesome girl from the 90s but that's who you profess to be much of the time.
I don't think we're going to get another Mariah album where you can sit back and listen to 90 per cent of the songs and want to listen over again (like Music Box, Daydream and even Charmbracelet). It's a shame, because she's an absolute master at the power ballad and the light pop tune but still rank amateur at the R&B crap she's dishing out.

No comments: