Saturday, November 14, 2009

2012


I know I said in the review for The Box that I love films that make you think. I must add that there is a place for the blockbuster.
With its extensive use of CGI, 2012 is very much a spectacular, if overly long, ride. Based on the theory that the Mayan calendar will end on December 21, 2012, thus heralding the end of the world, 2012 doesn't hold back on the destruction.
It's almost like the director was practicing for this one when he made Independence Day and The Day After Tomorrow.
For what it is worth, the story centres on a White House scientist Adrian Helmsley (Chiwetel Ejiofor) who has discovered that the earth's core is heating up fast and that the world as we know it is coming to an end. Over a period of a few years (the discovery was 2009) the US government keeps it quiet as it builds hi-tech Arks to salvage some of humanity.
Our other focus is small time author and limo driver Jackson Curtis (John Cusack in a rare action type role) whose connection with his children is becoming more and more distant thanks to his ex-wife's (Amanda Peet) new man. I have to admit that John Cusack is one of my very favourite actors and his presence is handy.
Curtis stumbles upon a crazy doomsday believer Charlie (Woody Harrelson) on a camping trip to Yellowstone whose theories appear to be correct.
You don't really have to see the film to know what is going to happen with the Curtises, the reason to see this one is the spectacular destruction of the world. Nothing is spared and I have to admit it can be a shade unsettling if you think about it too much.
(I must have because last night my dreams were definitely influenced by seeing 2012, although inexplicably I had access to jet packs).
I have to admit that, if you do think about it, it does make you realise how much we are at the mercy of nature. We all like to think we can be in control of our destinies but there is a much bigger force out there than we like to admit.
2012 is not rocket science for a movie goer (though there is a lot of scientific mumbo jumbo) but it does fulfil its goal - taking you on one heck of a ride. A 7 out of 10.

No comments: