Saturday, November 28, 2009

Battle Studies

Pretty much since he got his highly commercial Room For Squares album out of the way, John Mayer's work can take a bit of time to grow on you.
And so it is with Battle Studies, his fourth major release (though sixth if you count the debut EP Inside Wants Out and the Try! jazz release) and one that drips with the angst of relationships.
It's not really surprising since Mayer has been known more for his extra curricular activities lately than his music.
Battle Studies is rife with songs about regret, lost love and independence, either by force or by choice.
Unlike Continuum, which was groovy even when the song was a shade depressing, Battle Studies sounds like a war. It's hard work at times but, in true Mayer style, the brilliance of his songwriting shines through (except for one track which I find very pedestrian especially for him).
The opener Heartbreak Warfare gets us off to a very good start then he drops his bundle completely on the annoying All We Ever Do Is Say Goodbye.
If one song stands out, aside from the fact it has been playing in my head all day, it is Half Of My Heart. It has life to it and is incredibly catchy, in the vein of Bigger Than My Body (sort of). Apparently it is a duet with Taylor Swift but unless he drowns her out completely she only sings two lines in the whole song. Go figure.
The slightly controversial Who Says is a solid song and Perfectly Lonely is passable.
One of the highlights for me is War Of My Life, which when I heard it the first time I immediately wanted to hear it again.
Of the final three I think Edge Of Desire stands out. If you're a Mayer fan (he's my favourite male singer) than this won't let you down, though it is not as consistent as Continuum or even Heavier Things.
Having said that he's done better than (my favourite female singer) Mariah Carey, who continues to pump out mediocre (on the whole) albums with only three or four standout tracks.

No comments: