Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Mariah covers a classic

Cover versions tends to be a pet hate of mine so when my favourite artist covers one of my very favourite song what am I to think?
It can only be a good thing but you always hate a classic being butchered.
Happily, Mariah Carey's version of the legendary Foreigner song I Want To Know What Love Is is a worthy cover, though I have to have the original on top as the superior version (which is almost always the case).
The song has been stripped back a bit to a piano based track and that really works for a Mariah ballad. The emotion is there, it still sends chills up my spine, and it has been very much done in her classic ballad style, building to the high pitched whistle-style at the end.
Being a Mariah Carey song it is going to go on high rotation not to mention it being one of my top 10 all time songs.
I'm looking forward to the new Mariah album, Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel, and hoping there are more songs on there that I like than can easily skip like a couple of her recent releases.

No comments: