Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Season 7 premiere thoughts

After last season's departure of Lucas and Peyton, the show's two central characters, I wasn't sure what season 7 of One Tree Hill would look like.
However, having now watched the new season opening I'm giving the new look OTH a tentative thumbs up.
The opening few minutes was a masterstroke, and really got me into the feel of One Tree Hill. Yes, it has a feel. Hard to describe.
I loved Haley's song and it seemed to sum everything up well (as the music always does).
The show picks up 14 months after last season and Lucas and Peyton are long in the past (though they do get the odd mention here and there). Nathan is an NBA star and his agent Clay (newcomer Robert Buckley) is working on a new contract for him.
Jamie is turning 7 and his aunt Quinn (Haley's other, not so evil, sister) arrives having, as we find out, split with her husband. Brooke and Julian are having a frustrating long distance relationship and Millicent seems to be the new Brooke, taking over a lot of the running of COB.
The best addition to the cast has been Clay, his character interested me a lot. On the surface he is a confident, womanizing guy but underneath, well we're not really sure yet. What we do find out, at the end, is that he ``doesn't believe in love''.
And then there is Dan. He can't have turned over a new leaf, that's just not him. Stay tuned there.
So far so good as far as I'm concerned. Like season 5 I think this one may take a few episodes to adjust, though I do hope the rumoured return of Lucas and Peyton (at least one off) happens.

On another, related, topic I watched the first episode of the new Melrose Place last week. In a word, meh.
Sure Sydney and Michael were in it, but like 90210 I really didn't care about the other characters. It just doesn't work.

No comments: