Wednesday, September 23, 2009

CD's revisited: 1927's ...ish

I can't believe it has been 20 years since the release of ...ish, the debut album by Aussie band 1927.
It ranks very highly among the best debut albums in modern times and I remember when I bought it (on cassette!). I was in year eight in high school and I thought it was just about the best tape I owned.
1927, sadly, didn't have as long a run as they should have. Lineup changes after this album came out pretty much killed off any chance they had, despite the fact the next two albums were fairly good (particularly The Other Side).
That's When I Think Of You is the song that thrust 1927 into the limelight but it was the delicate ballad If I Could that everyone will still remember. The video clip with the small white chapel in lush surrounds, a young couple looking on as the band plays and an old woman dancing.
There are only 10 songs on ...ish but at least eight are first class and it was one of the rare albums that warranted five singles.
The opening track To Love Me is still a good song as is the third single You'll Never Know. Then there is the haunting Compulsory Hero, which is about conscription and is still my favourite song on the album.
When I was younger I loved the song Nothing In The Universe, I'm not sure that it has the same effect now.
I do this edition of Revisited (haven't done one in a while) as ...ish has just been re-released in a 20th anniversary edition and 1927 is playing a show in Sydney in November.
It would be cool to go along and see them again.

No comments: