Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Always Looking Up

Sequels are rarely as good as the original and that equates to books as well.
After being captivated, moved and inspired by Michael J Fox's Lucky Man a few years back I approached the follow up, Always Looking Up, enthusiastically.
Now I'm not going to run the book down, so to speak, because what Fox has been trying to do for Parkinson's research is well above the call. But, simply, it wasn't as good as Lucky Man and I felt I had read quite a lot of it before.
Plus, I think it is hard to follow a book like Lucky Man because I felt that everything people need to know about him and his battle with the disease is in that book.
This new book covers some of the same ground and tells us what has happened since.
But it is just not as engaging and, at times, feels like a book he was forced to write and not one that he felt needed to be read.
If you're interested in the Michael J Fox story by all means read Lucky Man. I'm not saying don't read Always Looking Up and perhaps my overall view has been tainted by expectation and the hope that I would be inspired again. I admire his work, his attitude and his courage but I didn't learn anything new.
Now I am on the lookout for a new book to read. Matthew Reilly's latest doesn't come out for a few months yet. I've been thinking about reading some Shakespeare or even a classic like Huckleberry Finn, which I have never read before.

No comments: