Friday, June 26, 2009

My top 5 Michael Jackson songs

Like most people around the world I reacted to the news of Michael Jackson's passing with a fair amount of shock.
But, and I wonder if this is a different thought to others, it's because he was one of those personalities you thought would be around forever. Some people, above the rank of celebrity, seem immortal. Princess Diana was one of those.
So in honour of the King of Pop, these are my favourite Michael Jackson songs. They may not be his biggest sellers or signature tunes but I reckon they were supreme anthems.

5. Man In The Mirror
A haunting memory from my high school days, this song is actually quite inspiring. If you want to change things start with yourself, a great message.
4. Smooth Criminal
I'm not exactly sure to this day what the song is actually about but it is so infectious.
3. You Are Not Alone
This song is a perfect example of what he was capable of, a perfect ballad. It's heartfelt and moving and I never tire of hearing it.
2. Come Together
While the Beatles version is excellent I think this is one of the few covers that surpasses the original. What he did to this song was give it the guts it needed, the heavier sound. It's also the only song I have sung karaoke more than once.
1. Give In To Me
Dangerous was the first CD I ever owned and this song was always the standout. With Slash on the guitar, this song also has guts and a sound that makes me want to scream out the words. The video clip is awesomely cool as well.

No comments: