Friday, June 12, 2009

I Love You, Man

I have to cut right to the chase, I Love You, Man
is the funniest and best comedy I have seen in quite a while. It's always tough when someone wraps a movie so much because you expect it to be great, so I'm sorry for that.
But it had to be said. I haven't had such a belly laugh in ages. And it's a fairly simple story, there's plenty of truth in it, and a lesson for men everywhere.
Peter Klaven (Paul Rudd) is getting married and it quickly becomes apparent that he has no mates, he's only had girlfriends and all the guys have dropped away.
So he is set up by his brother to go on `man dates' to make new friends. The people he comes across are an eclectic bunch, from a gay man who thinks it is a real date to an 89-year-old internet savvy man whose picture is not a representation of himself.
Peter then meets Sydney (Jason Segal), a single man who prefers divorcees because he is not looking for anything serious. They strike up a friendship despite Peter's inability to talk `guy talk'.
In some ways this is a romantic comedy about two guys developing a friendship. It plays out in a fairly standard manner but at the same time is rollicking good fun.
As far as guys go, there is something to be taken from this movie about male friendship and its role in a man's life. It is something that, from experience, I think that a lot of married men I know should consider a bit. At the same time there are a few who seem to have it worked out.
There are no Oscars here, but it is engaging, well written (if a bit over-crude early on) and well performed. I can't ask for any more, and the teardrops of laughter say I enjoyed myself immensely. An 8.5 out of 10.

No comments: