Saturday, April 18, 2009

I was there when....

...Takeover Target won the TJ Smith Stakes at Randwick on April 18, 2009.
Sometimes there are moments in racing that you will never forget, today was one of them.
Why? Takeover Target (I took the photo from on the fence in the mounting yard) is the ultimate fairytale in horse racing. He was bought at a tried horse sale for about $1250 and now he is closing in on $6 million, not bad for a horse who will be 10 years old in a few months time.
My big disappointment today was that I didn't tip or back him. There is an old saying, never write off a champion and we all saw why as the broke right away from a damn good field. It left me and many others with shaking heads, in awe of an unbelievable performance. It's one of those `I was there when' moments that are so rare and reserved for the remarkable.
Overall it was a very good day and thankfully I showed sense and didn't go out after a long day at the track. It actually took me about 80 minutes to get home due to the traffic.
On the work front, I stopped in there on the way to the races and moved desks back to where I was sitting a few years ago before changing jobs. Hopefully that will make things a bit better, and it will be interesting to see some reaction from one or two others. I still think it was the best thing I could do under the circumstances.

No comments: