Sunday, April 12, 2009

Derby Day

And I thought there was a recession on!
Some 30,000 people, and I was among them, packed into Randwick racecourse yesterday for Derby Day, one of the bigger race meetings in Sydney.
It was a long day.
I had a new mate come up from Canberra on Friday and we were on the road early to the city.
One of the benefits of going early is you tend to get a decent run with traffic and that was the case (I even had a good run out of the course at the end of the day which was weird given the numbers).
You don't realise how hard a day on your feet is until you sit down at the end. And I was watching the Storm vs Penrith game as I dozed off, not making it to half time.
Back to the races though. As far as the actual racing went it was a bit of a ho-hum day and next Saturday promises to be much more exciting.
However, the great trainer Bart Cummings (pictured, I managed to get a great angle) scored his first Group One win for 10 years in Sydney and is the oldest, at 81, to train a Derby winner.
I hope I'm that successful at 81! He certainly has a way with words.
I actually had a chat to him earlier in the week and he's quite a character, a legend of the sport, and it is a privilege to have access.
I also caught up with a couple of other mates at the races which was great, including one who really intrigues me with his seemingly controlled recklessness, if that's possible.
Anyway, unfortunately I didn't win so let's hope next week is a much better one.

No comments: