Sunday, October 05, 2008

Surprise encounters, evaluations and grand finals

The past few days have been interesting to say the least.
Whether through coincidence, if you believe in that, or some higher reasoning, I bumped into a couple of people from a previous church this week.
Completely out of the blue. Had I taken different paths to where I was going at the time I wouldn't have had either encounter.
The first was with a guy I listed on my `old friends' post a week or so ago.
Seeing Nathan was great and I wasn't surprised to learn his life is still ridiculously hectic. Everything I like about him was still evident and he didn't give me the impression that I was bailing him up either. That's what makes my comments about some regret in the way things went while we were friends (I'm not saying we aren't now but it is hard to be friends with someone if you never see them) even more pertinent.
I left that conversation hopeful that there is a future there but, realistically, I'd say there probably isn't. But you never know.
Less than 24 hours later I bumped into Melissa at my local shopping centre.
Strangely enough I had wondered what she was up to not long before and there she is. Off overseas with the husband to try their luck.
By Saturday I was wondering who I was going to run into next. You know what they say about things happening in threes! Anyway I didn't so I guess there were no signs of anything there.
On Friday night I caught up with a good mate who, surprisingly, I hadn't hung out with at all this year due to several different circumstances.
Craig is a guy who was always a very good influence and support (and I'd like to say I've been the same back on the latter score) and little has changed there despite both our situations changing slightly. We didn't do much as it was the end of a long week but it was great going out for dinner and talking, about trivial and serious stuff. We have vowed to do it more often and I'd say we will. I haven't talked about him much on this page but he is one of my favourite people.
It's been a nice weekend, albeit a bit frustrating with some close calls with my selections for the races yesterday.
I enjoyed the weekend, particularly a reasonably laid back Sunday, and even Manly winning the grand final 40-0 won't spoil it. They played better and deserved to win. At least people won't feel bad about hating them next season. You know, everyone has two teams - yours and the one playing Manly. Just how rugby league should be.

No comments: