Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Step Brothers

Yeah I know it's a silly comedy but when you know what to expect it rarely disappoints you. That's the theory anyway.
While Step Brothers is not really my type of film I went along with a mate who is more into it and we both agreed it was good but not great.
Not a Tropic Thunder, not a Blades Of Glory.
It's a simple premise: Dale (John C Reilly) and Brennan (Wll Ferrell) are 40-ish single men who still live with their respective parents. When the parents marry they become step brothers. And they hate each other.
I wondered while watching whether you were supposed to think they are actually 12 year olds and not grown men throwing tantrums and playing on their parents' sympathies.
I don't think the review needs to go much further. I had some laughs, there were some pretty funny scenes. But my main criticism is that when in doubt, the likes of Ferrell and co default to gross humour and is doesn't work as often as they'd like to think it does.
A 5.5 out of 10. Like I said, I had some laughs and that's all I really expected.

No comments: