Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Expectation vs the movies

Expectation holds great power when I'm about to watch a film, I'm sure most people experience something similar.
I hired a few movies last weekend and have been watching them with mixed reactions.
For several months I'd been keen to watch Half Nelson, starring Ryan Gosling, and had such expectation that I was a bit disappointed by the end. It was a good film but didn't live up to the hype that I had built.
It's a shame because it was a reasonable performance from Gosling.
The other movie was a double back featuring Before Sunrise and its sequel Before Sunset, starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy.
I've only watched Before Sunrise and I can say I will definitely be watching the follow-up because I was blown away. Made in 1995, Before Sunrise is a simple yet captivating film about two strangers who meet on a train and spent one day together in Vienna.
The whole film is basically the two of them talking about their lives, their views, their hopes and fears and becoming closer by the minute. You don't need special effects to make a movie that so clearly illustrates the simple connection between two souls. Outstanding, bring on the sequel (if I didn't have to work tomorrow I'd be watching it right now!).

No comments: