Monday, April 21, 2008

E=MC2 - the review

This is Mariah Carey's 15th album (including greatest hits compilations) and as the name suggests it is a follow-up to The Emancipation Of Mimi.

As is normal, I write this review after one day's listening so that it is the first impression and that usually holds true.
What can I say about E=MC2? First up I think the album cover is atrocious. The semi-slutty look doesn't suit Mariah and I'm surprised no one has told her. But I can live with that I guess.
The first song Migrate is pretty ordinary and not a good introduction to the album like It's Lke That was last album, but fortunately the very catchy Touch My Body comes next and improves the situation.
It took a little while for me to get into that track when I first heard it a while ago but I really like it now. The third song is okay then we hit paydirt. Nobody does the power ballad like Mariah Carey, she has it mastered and nails it again with I Stay In Love. (The next bit is in block letters on purpose).
WHY ISN'T I STAY IN LOVE THE SECOND SINGLE?!?!?!?!?
That's right, I Stay In Love is an absolute smash in my opinion but apparently the powers that be in Carey's record company (or even herself) has decided the far inferior Bye Bye be the second single and this is a huge mistake.
Everyone knows the best thing about Emancipation was the huge hit We Belong Together, which was a million miles better than any song on that CD and high among my favourite Carey tracks.
Now I Stay In Love is essentially the sequel to We Belong Together, it sounds a shade similar but the piano work is hauntingly moving. I am in disbelief that this song isn't about to hit the airwaves. Big mistake there.
Just digressing, it reminds me of what happened in the 90s when Roxette wanted to release Spending My Time as the second single off Joyride but the record company didn't release it until the fourth single and interest in the album had dropped off by then. It was easily the best song on that album and the band knew it.
I hope Mariah knows that I Stay In Love is the best song on E=MC2 and it is a huge error not to be releasing it now.
Back to the CD. I can cover the rest in one word: mixed. Some songs are very solid others are of no interest to me. Side Effects is good once the intro is out of the way, I'll Be Lovin' You Long Time is fairly catchy.
I guess I am still stuck on the Mariah of the early to mid 90s.
It's as good as Emancipation, perhaps a shade more polished, but until she tones down the `collaborations' every future CD will rate about the same. If you liked Emancipation you'll like this, if the self-righteous rapping annoys you be warned there is far too much of that here.
I'm not bagging the album, I just hate it when there is great potential and it isn't realised. But, hey, I just pay my hard earned for the CD so what does my opinion matter?

1 comment:

BarrettsinBurkina said...

...sorry to say I care little for Mariah...but wanted to say "G'day" on your blog, and this was the last post. (Although have to admit I liked 'One Fine Day' when I first heard it many moons ago). Cheers mate, Jon