Monday, January 29, 2007

Conclusion

I knocked over the final part of Lucky Man fairly quickly.
Again I would say it's a very interesting read and offers great insight into the struggles Michael faced when trying to hide his condition, from others and in some way from himself.

`The other shoe had already dropped, and I had survived. There was nothing left to fear. You're only as sick as your secrets.' (page 278).

Here's another segment and one I find quite profound.
`Illness is a scary business, and somewhere deep inside, or maybe not so deep inside, we're all wondering if it could happen to us, and how we would cope if it did....At one time or another, during times of personal struggle or loss, we've all heard people tell us they would `pray for us'...I no longer underestimate the power of prayer'. (page 297)

I hope I can take a lot from having read this, about how to accommodate life's struggles rather than let them dominate.
Footnote: I watched a bit of Spin City, made before he announced his condition, and it was interesting to note that a lot of the time his left hand (the one worst affected at the time) spent a lot of time in his pocket. Never noticed that before.

2 comments:

Alison said...

Hi Ray, it sounds like a really good book, I might look it up.

Have you ever read any of Joni Eareckson's stuff? She talks about learning to live with a physical condition she can't change or control and she has developed a lot of godly wisdom as a result. I found reading her story really helpful and encouraging.

Ray said...

Hey Al, no I haven't heard of her before, I might look her up as well. As a fan of MJF I just had to read his book and it was just amazing.