Friday, August 07, 2009

The Old Man And The Sea

In my efforts to include more culture in life, I've been reading some 'classic' literature.
Even though I am yet to finish Huckleberry Finn (but am close) I've ripped through Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea and I have to say I thoroughly recommend it.
A simple story, written clearly and concisely.
That's what makes it remarkable. That a writer doesn't need page after page of action to hold the reader's interest is a sign of a great writer. Now I hadn't read any Hemingway prior to this one so didn't know what to expect.
At around 96 pages it is far from a long book and it is not in chapters. What Hemingway has done with this story is brilliant because he has taken a tale of a man who does not stand out in any way, except that he is a fisherman.
It's his relationship with the sea and with the fish he is in pursuit of that draws you in and keeps you turning the page. If you haven't read it, seek it out. You won't regret it.
Next up, as I have mentioned earlier, is Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.

No comments: