Saturday, November 29, 2008

Australia - the review

I've given this a bit of thought since it is now 24 hours since I saw what is easily the most hyped local film in years.
While my expectations were low, Australia is actually quite a good movie. Seriously, if you can't team Baz Luhrmann, Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman and just about every half decent Australian actor around and make something worth watching then I'd be very worried.
The big problem the film is going to have though is that while it will appeal to local audiences I think international viewers are going to struggle.
This movie is very Australian. Yes it is spectacularly shot and the setting is breathtaking but it is narrated by an Aboriginal child whose language won't be understood by a lot of people abroad and I think that a lot of it will confuse them. Don't get me wrong, the young boy who plays Nullah, the narrator, does a great job in the film but even I found the narration annoying.
The negatives first: it is far too long at about 160 minutes. I didn't like that Hugh Jackman's character didn't have a name other than The Drover, and the aforementioned narration.
The positives: it was great to see the depiction of the attack on Darwin as the centre of a major film, it is forgotten easily than Darwin has had no luck when it comes to being destroyed. Nicole Kidman wasn't nearly as annoying as I thought she would be and I thought she was actually quite good. David Wenham was excellent as the villainous Neil Fletcher and as said the kid Brandon Walters was great as well.
Luhrmann certainly stamps his movies and Australia is no exception. It is a bit cheesy and there are many references to other iconic films, most notably the Wizard Of Oz which became central to the story. Also a nice nod to the red curtain trilogy (Romeo & Juliet, Strictly Ballroom and Moulin Rouge).
Basically it is a love story, a story of finding your true place in the world, and about prejudice. I have to admit I was a bit concerned about it not being that interesting, even with Oprah's seal of approval.
I'm giving a 7 out of 10, the length probably cost it a 7.5.

No comments: