Sunday, November 16, 2008

Hello Love

When an artist produces some of the most inspirational music you have heard any new release is met with a degree of anticipation.
Such is the case with Chris Tomlin's new album Hello Love.
The classic song Indescribable was a number of years ago and is still unmatched in Christian music as far as I am concerned.
As the title suggests the new album is all about love. Not the love that Celine Dion or Justin Timberlake might sing about but the love of God.
And the title track is one of the standouts, sung with the help of the Watoto Children's Group, who I admit I know little about. However, their input is effective.
Unfortunately when you have set such a high bar more often than not there is a fair bit of let down involved. Hello Love doesn't escape this eventuality.
Some of it is classic Tomlin, still the best worship singer of our generation, songs like Jesus Messiah, You Lifted Me Out, With Me and Exalted (Yahweh) are real standouts along with the aforementioned (sort of) title track.
Largely, the rest is a little pedestrian for an artist like him.
Still, five cracking songs is definitely enough to warrant rushing out if you are a Tomlin fan. I have found sometimes the songs I don't like instantly can grow on me so I am not writing off the rest completely because as usual this review is on one or so listens.

No comments: