Saturday, July 05, 2008

Revelations, ghosts and mind games

To say my soon to be completed break from work has been eventful would be an understatement. Obviously, the house stuff back home has been a big part of it and I'm not exactly sure how much stress that actually caused me.
Significantly less than the rest of the family for sure. But it still caused some.
Anyway, I covered quite a few kilometres in the last few days caching up with friends and I took in quite a lot of information.
On Thursday night I went down to Cronulla and hung out with a friend of more than 10 years who I don't see that often largely due to the distance. I'm not sure what the record is for the number of revelations in one conversation but I found out a lot of things about what's going on in my mate's life that I couldn't have guessed with a million options.
Let's just say his situation is a very tricky and sensitive one and I hope he makes the right choices when he is eventually forced to.
Friday was a large day, not helped by the fact that I was sure I had a bug or at least a cold or something like that. You know how you feel reasonable but just a bit off. That's how it went.
So I pushed on to see a friend who has the most amazing view from his balcony. His roommate was telling me how he woke up and walked outside to see whales out in the water. Amazing.
I really enjoy catching up with this particular mate, another who I don't see as often as I'd like, because he is quite encouraging and not afraid of a bit of contact.
I have few mates who greet you with a hug and while I think it might be strange if everyone did it certainly makes an impression.
So after a wander along the beach and a peppermint tea I headed off to another coastal venue for dinner with another mate. By this stage I was starting to feel a bit on the tired side.
We had a bite and went back to his place to watch the rugby league game and chat about the races. It wasn't as eventful as the last time we hung out, when we stayed out until well into the early hours, but I still had a good time.
When I got home I resolved to do very little today and have succeeded. And I feel a bit better for the rest after being quite spooked for a couple of days. I've got to learn to handle that kind of thing better.
It's weird how your mind can be your worst enemy, you'd think it would be easy to work together! For someone who can be very rational, the irrational side seems to be surprisingly strong and letting it win is a habit that needs to be broken.
On the plus side my housemate was watching Ace Ventura: Pet Detective when I got home last night so I finished that off so it was great to end the night with a laugh.
So what's been going on in your world?

No comments: